Monday, February 9, 2009

Basil Tomato Quinoa Salad

 


There are not exact measurements for this dish. I made this recipe up. I will give you ratio's then you just decide how much you want to make.

Ingredients:
Quiona
cherry tomatoes
fresh basil
garlic (my preference crushed garlic from a jar--blends the best in a dressing)
EVOO
Salt and Pepper
Chicken bouillon (Knorr's chicken bouillon cubes is what I always use)

Quinoa is cooked in water 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water.

I usually start with 2 c. quinoa add it to a medium/large size soup/or deep sauce pot with 4 c. water, along with enough bouillon cubes for the amount of water you are using. In this case I add 2 large cubes (each cube is for 2 c. water). Cover and bring to boil. When it reaches boiling stir the quinoa so the bouillon dissolves and turn down to a simmer, cover. It will cook 10-15 minutes. While it's simmers stir occasionally to prevent clumping and even cookin. I like to under cook the quinoa so that it doesn't get mushy so check it before 10 minutes. When it's cooked you will see an opaque ring around the center of the grain. Most of the broth should absorb into the quinoa, but since I under cook it, there is usually leftover broth in which I use the lid to drain excess broth from the pot.

Transfer quinoa into a large boil. Use a spoon to stir and allow the heat to escape. You can stick the boil in the fridge to cool the quinoa--just remember to occasionally stir the quinoa to let the heat escape at the bottom. You want the quiona to be at room temperature before adding the tomatoes and basil so the basil doesn't wilt.

While my quiona is cooling. I quarter the cherry tomatoes, and chop the fresh basil. It doesn't matter the size. Just cut it to however you want it to look in your salad. And as much as you want to put in the salad. I like it plentiful.

Dressing (this is an estimate of what I do, I do not measure):

1/4-1/2 c. EVOO
1-2 tsp. crush garlic from jar
salt and pepper to taste
(you could experiment with a little lemon juice, but I don't put it in)

Whisk all together in a bowl or glass measuring cup.

When the quinoa is cooled. Add the cherry tomatoes and chopped basil. My picture doesn't show it, but add an even amount of both and as much as you like. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix. Mix and add more dressing if dry, salt and pepper to taste.

I serve this salad with grilled chicken, fresh avocado, feta cheese--but try anything you like that would compliment.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

My favorite salad!!! I need the recipe!

Chellese said...

YAY, Eryn! Thank you and thanks for the call. I was at Enrichment tonight. I'm excited to try this out. Now just remember, one recipe every other day like you said. I'll be a better cook/eater for your hard work. Love you.