Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Mexican Frittata

Posted by Picasa


1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach (thawed and water rung out)
1 c. cottage cheese
*1-1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I use the Mexican shredded blend from Costco)
1/2 c. Fresh chopped cilantro/and or parsley (as much or as little as you like)
9 eggs
2-4 T. Milk
1 T. cumin
salt and pepper
(makes a little more than 1 dozen)

*The original recipe called for 3/4 c. Cheddar and 3/4 c. fresh Parmesan cheese. If I have both than I do that. You can really use whatever combination of cheese you like or have.

Preheat 350. Combine first four ingredients into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cumin and salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over cheese mixture and stir together until everything is well combine. Grease muffin pans and fill 3/4 full with egg mixture. Cook for 20-30 minutes until the egg frittata's are lightly golden brown on top. Remove from muffin tin and serve with any of the following: salsa, sour cream or black bean dip.

I use to have a problem getting the egg muffins out of the muffin tins (even if I greased). I bought nice muffin pans and haven't had a problem. I hope you don't either. I also play with different ingredients. You can saute up and onion and add it to the mixture. Cooked ham or bacon. Lightly sauteed bell peppers, etc.

I like to make a big batch at the beginning of the week and have enough to last me several days by reheating for breakfast.

No comments: