Sunday, October 7, 2007

Veggie Burgers

Posted by Picasa


**Saute in 1/4 c. of Canola Oil

2 oz. grated carrots
4 oz. minced yellow onion
1 oz. minced jalapeno
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
1 T. basil

**I triple the amount of above to the amount below or you will feel there are no veggies in your veggie burger. I have a diet scale that let's me measure the ounces. Next time I make these I will take not as to how many carrots, etc it takes to make so many ounces. I also use my FP to chop my carrots and jalapeno's.

When Sauteed let cool.

Puree the following in a food processor

3 c. cooked garbanzo beans (drained of water). I have only used canned garbanzo beans that I drained and rinsed.
1 1/2 c. cooked rice (I use only Japanese white rice that I spoon straight out of my rice cooker. I think the sticky and hot rice is what keeps everything stuck together.
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1 c. oats
1 T. cornmeal
1 T. whole wheat flour

In a mixing bowl combine the puree to the sauteed vegetables. Add 4 oz thawed and drained frozen chopped spinach. Mix well. Form flat patties and fry lightly in canola oil until golden brown on both sides. I like to eat the plain with fresh avocado and tomato's on top. Or serve in a toasted pita or open face, toasted bread with sprouts, avocado, cheese and tomatoes.

The veggie burger batter can be frozen in a bag or as patties. Thaw in the refrigerator and then form the pattie when ready to cook, if the patties weren't formed previous to freezing. I would think you would need to lay wax paper in between each patty before freezing to prevent them from sticking.

No comments: